blah blah blah

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sleep = Sanity

No sleep = Insanity.

Definitely having insomnia for the past few days. It's screwing me up in the head a bit. And yes, I did say I was staying off the net for a while on Twitter, but screw it, I need to blog.

I was happy that I managed to fall asleep around 1.30am, but I was woken up by my phone. And it wasn't even for a text or anything, it just beeped softly because the battery was dying. I woke up with my mind racing. Stared at the ceiling (or a blur of the ceiling, I'm blind haha) for half an hour before I realised I definitely was not gonna be able to fall asleep. So yeah, here I am, awake since 3.40ish.

Oh I wiki'ed insomnia and here's what I found (highlighted ones are the ones that I think applies to me):

Insomnia can be caused by
  • Psychoactive drugs or stimulants, including certain medications, herbs, caffeine, cocaine, ephedrine, amphetamines, methylphenidate, MDMA, methamphetamine and modafinil
  • Hormone shifts such as those that precede menstruation and those during menopause (OH HAHAHAHAHAHA SCREW YOU MENSTRUAL CYCLE!!!)
  • Life problems like fear, stress, anxiety, emotional or mental tension, work problems, financial stress, unsatisfactory sex life (Great. No sex = no sleep.)
  • Mental disorders such as clinical depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, general anxiety disorder (I'm not ruling out mental disorders. Because I know there's little crazy in me somewhere.)
  • Disturbances of the circadian rhythm, such as shift work and jet lag, can cause an inability to sleep at some times of the day and excessive sleepiness at other times of the day. Jet lag is seen in people who travel through multiple time zones, as the time relative to the rising and setting of the sun no longer coincides with the body's internal concept of it. The insomnia experienced by shift workers is also a circadian rhythm sleep disorder.
  • Certain neurological disorders, brain lesions, or a history of traumatic brain injury
  • Medical conditions such as hyperthyroidism and Wilson's syndrome
  • Abuse of over-the counter or prescription sleep aids can produce rebound insomnia
  • Poor sleep hygiene (Oh most definitely.)
  • Parasomnia, which includes a number of disruptive sleep events including nightmares, sleepwalking, violent behavior while sleeping, and REM behavior disorder, in which a person moves his/her physical body in response to events within his/her dreams
  • The full moon lunar phase (Does this mean that I could be a werewolf? That's what I think of when I hear "full moon".)
  • A rare genetic condition can cause a prion-based, permanent and eventually fatal form of insomnia called fatal familial insomnia (Say what now?)
Hate this. I've been uber depressed for the past couple of days too. I don't know if it's because of my inability to sleep or whether it's causing my inability to sleep.

Now I'm depressed, and also cranky because I haven't had a good nights' sleep in days. I want to cry.

Oh I am so tired.

"Here in these deep city lights
A girl could get lost tonight
I'm finding every reason to be gone
There's nothing left to hold on to
Could I hold on to you?"
Sara Bareilles - City

Ok back to reading about murders and crime and all that crap.

xoxo bella

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home