blah blah blah

Monday, April 02, 2007

Choices

Have you ever wondered how all the choices you make will ultimately affect your life? Our minds are constantly plagued with the what-if scenarios. It could range from something trivial to a life-changing decision. Like deciding between eating a donut or a banana. Or deciding what course to take in uni. White rice or fried rice. That guy or that other guy. Blue shirt or red shirt. Quitting school to work or pursuing a degree. Skirt or jeans.

Choices. We take different paths that have lead us to where we are now. They say there's no point in regret. I kind of disagree. There is a point. You learn from mistakes. You look back and think, Dammit I should've studied harder!!!(or some other situation of that sort) You learn that some opportunities are once-in-a-lifetime. And you will approach other decisions with more caution and thought. Regret is so you can remember to make the right choice so you don't feel like shit again. Yup regret makes you feel like shit.

You guys wondering what happened to make me think about these things? The security guards at the main gates of UBD. Yup, you read that right. Here's my whole thought process.

We pass through those gates almost everyday. And there's something that everyone does, that's practically a ritual so sacred, that it feels unnatural not doing it. Yeah, that ritual. The lifting-of-your-hand-to-say-hi-or-whatever-to-the-guard-to-show-your-appreciation-for-keeping- the-gate-open-so-we-can-enter-the-paradise-that-is-UBD thing.

One day while passing through those gates I thought, Wow, that's really what they do most of the time... Can you imagine how many people go to UBD everyday?? And ok, maybe not all, but 90% of those people would wave to the guards. And they always wave back!! Seriously you guys have not thought of how their everyday lives must be??

After thinking about that, I turned to Tzen and said, "Whoa, can you imagine getting paid for just waving at everyone most of the time? So shiok lahh.. I kind of envy them.."

Tzen said, "I don't." And it hit me how boring and unfulfilling that job must be.

Thinking about them kind of depressed me a bit, because I really doubt that was where they imagined themselves to be 10 years ago. What choices did they make to end up exactly where they are now? And am I doing what I want to do?

Oh and it's not like I look down on their professions. Hey, you know if there weren't anybody doing their jobs that most of us think are at the bottom of the job pool, society as we know it would collapse. Oh no, it's like Society again.. Aaaa!!

You know, I really have lost the ability to come up with interesting posts. I read everyone else's blogs, and I look at mine and the difference in depth and thought is like Archie versus The Da Vinci Code.

So sad. I wish I had more depth than a kiddie pool. =(

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home